Job Title: Maintenance Technician
Days Off: Saturday, Sunday
Pay Range: $23.46 - $25.90 per hour
Shift Differential: N/A
Location: Multiple Locations/Downtown Seattle
Insurance Benefits: Dental, Life, Long-term Disability, Medical (no premiums/payroll deductions for employee coverage)
Other Benefits: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), ORCA card subsidy, Paid Time Off (34 days per year), Retirement Plan
The Maintenance Staff performs a variety of maintenance repair tasks in assigned DESC facilities to keep the properties looking good and functioning well, and assists the Facilities Manager with Maintenance Team coordination issues.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform necessary maintenance tasks in all areas of assigned facilities, including, but not limited to, shelter dorms, individual apartments, hallways, common areas, offices, storage and trash rooms, equipment rooms, stairways, elevators, kitchens, laundry rooms, lounges, bathrooms, showers, alleys, sidewalks, roofs, and decks or patios.
- Monitor facilities and equipment for damage and provide upkeep and repair as needed.
- Assist other staff with large cleaning projects, including unit turnovers, as necessary or assigned.
- Communicate repair or extensive cleaning needs to supervisor before starting work, seeking assistance to complete maintenance work not within personal skill level.
- Do not enter occupied apartments without prior approval from supervisor.
- Work at ground level or from ladders and scaffolding. Carry and lift heavy materials, containers, ladders, tools, and other equipment to and around work sites.
- Repair basic building or apartment systems as assigned, including basic electrical systems (switches, outlets, breakers, fixtures, and minor wiring), general carpentry needs (woodwork, door maintenance, floor repair, wallboard and plaster work, painting, and lock systems repair), and plumbing.
- Assist Facilities Manager with general Maintenance Team coordination issues, including staff scheduling and inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Respond to emergencies, initiating emergency maintenance actions, cleaning up debris, water, etc., and contacting supervisors.
- Safeguard building and unit keys, never giving anyone access to occupied tenant units.
- Read and record in maintenance logs or other record-keeping systems to receive assignments and communicate progress.
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years of maintenance or trades experience.
- Ability to organize workload and complete duties with minimum direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with people from various backgrounds.
- Ability to handle a wide range of unpleasant and/or bizarre behavior from clients.
- Must have valid Washington State driver's license.
- Commitment to the philosophy of cooperation and continuity across programs and of consideration and respect for clients.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit, communicate with other employees, operate computer hardware systems, work at ground level as well as on scaffolding, ladders and heights of 50 feet or more including roofs and patios, frequently lift and carry items weighing 75 pounds including heavy materials, ladders, tools and other equipment to and around work sites. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Also required is the ability to tolerate strong odors and ability to wear appropriate protective equipment.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
DESC is committed to diversity in the workplace, and promotes equal employment opportunities for all staff members and applicants. The Agency will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Associated topics: automotive, breakdown, calibrate, diagnose, field service, field service technician, maintenance mechanic, maintenance technician, malfunction, repair